Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

this hit me last night

It's getting close to 9/11 and it's 10 year anniversary.  I've been watching alot of the programs and analysis from the day, on NatGeo.  While I was watching, my memories, of course came flooding back to me.  Now, don't get me wrong - I didn't lose anyone on 9/11, I wasn't hurt and I wasn't stuck trying to get home from DC either.  But I *WAS* DEEPLY effected by the events of the day.  I noticed that while watching footage of the twin towers, it hurt, but nothing like seeing the footage from the pentagon.  The Pentagon footage made me cry all over again.  I felt the same feelings last night, that I did the day it happened.  This is an interesting thing, to me.  Merely the *thought* of that day, still strikes fear in me. 

While watching this footage, I was reminded that many people, like my roommates (in their 20s) were only 10-12 at the time of the tragedy.  Some day, 9/11 will not be forgotten as much as the people who lived through it, will no longer be alive.  We often say 'A day our nation will never forget' or 'the entire world changed on 9/11'.  And it did.  Clearly.  But the children in school right now do not have any idea of the feelings the nation experienced, they will never feel that sort of tragedy (thank you, God!) and some day, it WILL be a child's question - Mommy, why do people volunteer on September 11? - and mommy will say that she learned about it in a book.

So, in the meantime, while I was mulling all of this over - I realized how many other completely crazy things I've been through since moving to the DC area. 
-  I survived the .bomb
-  The DC Sniper
-  9/11
-  Hurricanes Isabel & Irene (although a non-event)
-  5.8 earthquake which lasted nearly 45 seconds
-  3.1 earthquake
-  Tornado warnings on July 4
-  Saddam and bin Laden both found and killed
-  First Black President
-  2 new National memorials - WWII and MLK
-  Reagan's funeral


Anyway - alot has happened since I moved here.  Can't believe that this is where I live and call home.  *CRAZY*!!

No comments: